As the CEO of a tech company in Miami, you’re always looking for ways to expand your business while keeping costs down. One area where you can do both is by expanding your Sales and Customer Success teams globally.
There are many reasons to consider expanding your team globally, including the lower salary wage, the trained talent pool, and only a three-hour flight from Miami to most major Colombian cities. Expanding your team globally can keep your costs down significantly and grow your business simultaneously.
Here are 5 tips to help you expand your nearshore Sales and Customer Success team:
1. When expanding your nearshore team, you must find a region or area that has already had a strong technology sales and customer success presence; cities like Medellín and Bogota have large talent pools that are already working for companies like Google, Amazon, Apollo.io, AT&T and many more.
These regions will have a talent pool already exposed to working in the US culture for technology companies. They will come with the expertise needed to join your team immediately.
2. Train your Global Sales and Customer Success team. Once you’ve found the right team, it’s important to train them properly, so they’re ready to succeed in a new market. This includes providing them with on-the-job training, as well as cross-cultural training. Many leaders fail with nearshore teams because they lack proper training and support systems. Remember this is not “Outsourcing or BPO” work these Sales Reps, Customer Success, and Customer Support reps are directly working with your company. It’s important to maintain brand consistency.
3. Visit your team or hire a local Sales, Customer Success, or Customer Support Manager. When launching your team in a new market, it’s important to have leaders on the ground. With salaries ranging from $1,000 – $2,000 USD for entry-level positions, seasoned managers and leaders are available for slightly higher Salary Ranges; for around $2,000 – $4,000 monthly, your tech company can hire local managers and have your team come into an office.
For a list of Salary Ranges, check out my last article, How to Hire Sales People in Colombia.
CloudTask Coworking allows companies to have an instant office for only $130 USD per seat. Companies like Upflex have a global network of Coworking offices that can be accessed from 1 account, which is a very useful way to give your nearshore team a whole office or hybrid experience.
4. Keep in mind that “Freelancers” or independent contracts might have advantages for both parties in LATAM and Colombia, specifically those that chose “Employment Contracts.” over “Independent Contractors” have some drawbacks.
- 22 Mondays off for Holidays
- Only one can have one job
- Have a time culture over performance
- 40% payroll tax
Freelancers operate like 1099 contractors and can be paid directly with Credit cards through our Marketplace or with Paypal, Payoneer, and other providers like Get Deal and Remote can be used for anyone that is looking to give full employment benefits, although my experience after working and living in Colombia for almost 7 years has shown me that the Freelancer Independent contractor route is better, you should always do your research before picking what suitable for you.
5. The benefits of expanding a global sales and customer success team for Miami tech companies include lower costs, a trained talent pool, and only a three-hour flight from Miami. By following these tips, you can successfully expand your team globally while keeping costs down.